Top Adsense

A Gear Shift Inside Me: Blog Action Day


“You look at the river gently flowing by. You notice the leaves rustling with the wind. You hear the birds; you hear the tree frogs. In the distance, you hear the cow. You feel the grass. The mud gives a little bit on the riverbank. It is quiet; it is peaceful. And all of the sudden, it’s a gear shift inside you. And it’s like taking a deep breath and going, “Oh yeah, I forgot about this.”

-Al Gore in the opening monologue of An Inconvenient Truth-

The gear shift

When I finished watching the documentary, I really felt that “gear shift” inside me. There is an undeniable truth in it that forced me to consider the future generation. Of course I will not be there when the worst predictions in this documentary happens – I hope so. However, something inside me is telling me that I have to do my share, not for myself but for the future generation and for our beloved planet. It is a gift and it is very heartwarming to know that I’ve done my share to protect it.

Don’t look for the written facts – the signs are everywhere.

We cannot deny the fact that we are now experiencing some of the effects of global warming in the Philippines. We experienced the terrible effects of El Niรฑo during summer and the unusual floods during rainy season and yet we simply do nothing. After I watched the documentary, I realized that something is wrong. It clearly opened my eyes on the issue of global warming and climate change, which I have not thought of before. I heard this issues being mentioned in the news many times, and do not care about it. I thought it is just another prediction or some sort of theory but after carefully considering the facts presented in the documentary, and opening my heart to the message it wants to convey, I realized that it is an issue that must be solve by everyone.

Doing My Share

We have different priorities, different values, and different way of thinking. Nevertheless, we all live in this planet. Al Gore points out that all of human history has happened on this planet, which is our only home. We must act now for the future generation.

It’s really a gearshift inside me, and in my own little way, I must do my share.

____________________________
This is a quick note I submitted after we watched the documentary “An Inconvenient Truth” during our MIT-502 Tech. Change (Grad. School class) last year under Prof. Enrico R. Hilario. I am doing a disk clean up of my laptop and came across this file. 
Today is the last day for submission of blog post “Blog Action Day 09: Climate Change” and thought of quickly posting this as my share. You may also want to sign up as volunteer for GreenPeace. 

Image Source: UNICEF

No comments:

Got Something to Say? Thoughts? Additional Information?

Powered by Blogger.